WINNIPEG — The Workers Compensation Board (WCB) of Manitoba is giving back a $37-million surplus to eligible employers in the province.
Premier Brian Pallister made the announcement at a news conference on Tuesday.
“The COVID-19 pandemic is having a dramatic impact on employers across the province, with businesses especially hurting right now, and we’re working across government and with our partners to find ways to provide relief to employers that need it,” said Pallister.
“Given the economic uncertainties, these actions will provide money to employers at a time where cash flow is a challenge.”
Michael Werier, chairperson for the WCB, said in a news release the COVID-19 pandemic has had an impact on the majority of its customers.
“With a healthy reserve fund, we are pleased to provide a refund of approximately 20 per cent to employers to help bolster their bottom line,” he said.
“It’s incumbent upon businesses like ourselves to do our part to actively help support financial recovery efforts over the next several months.”
According to the province and WCB, in May employers who are eligible will receive a credit to their account that’s based on their 2019 premium.
Those who are eligible need to have fulfilled payroll duties for 2019 and paid last year’s WCB premium. Employers are still able to report their 2019 payroll.
This is a developing story, more details to come.
View original article here Source