No new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Manitoba on Friday, say public health officials, who are urging people not to relax their precautions just because the numbers are low.
While there hasn’t been a new case reported in the Winnipeg region since May 10, “we’re not done with this virus,” said Dr. Brent Roussin, Manitoba’s chief public health officer.
He is urging everyone to be “COVID careful” and continue to avoid travel, despite the warm weather that’s moving in. Travelling increases the risk of re-importation of the virus, he said.
“It is important to note that while some gradual lifting of restrictions has begun, significant work to limit the spread of COVID-19 must continue,” he said.
Travel is not permitted from southern Manitoba to areas, including campgrounds, north of the 53rd parallel, which is essentially anywhere north of the northern end of Lake Winnipeg.
“Public health is also advising people to remain within, or close to, their home communities. This includes limiting travel, even within Manitoba and neighbouring jurisdictions, to essential trips only,” Roussin said, adding that no restrictions are being lifted at this time.
“We will look to further loosen public health restrictions as we get closer to June.”
There have been 289 cases in total since the first in the province were reported in March. Of those, 254 people have recovered and there are 28 active cases. Three people are in hospital, one of whom is in intensive care.
Lanette Siragusa, chief nursing officer for Shared Health, noted that 25 of the 26 health-care workers and first responders who have tested positive for the virus so far are now back at work.
The one that remains off work was the only positive result among 462 health-care workers who were tested in the past week. The person works in the Prairie Mountain Health Region, but the case not linked to the cluster at a trucking company in Brandon, Siragusa said.
Latest local news:
View original article here Source