A tornado warning issued for part of southeastern Manitoba Monday afternoon has ended.
Environment Canada issued the warning just after 4 p.m. It was lifted after 5 p.m.
A severe thunderstorm warning in effect for Buffalo Point Reserve, Northwest Angle Provincial Forest and the rural municipality of Piney including Sandilands and Sprague was lifted just after 6 p.m, the weather agnecy said.
Tornado warning downgraded to severe t-storm warning. Still a potentially danergous storm though <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/cbcmb?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#cbcmb</a> <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/mbstorm?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#mbstorm</a> <a href=”https://t.co/s9AtGxNhMF”>pic.twitter.com/s9AtGxNhMF</a>
Much of the area was placed under a tornado watch Monday afternoon amid stormy conditions in parts of southern Manitoba.
In online weather alerts, Environment Canada issued tornado watches because the weather conditions were looking favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that could produce tornadoes.
Tornado watches in effect for:
- Buffalo Point Reserve and Northwest Angle Provincial Forest.
- RM of Piney including Sandilands and Sprague.
- Municipality of Emerson-Franklin including Roseau River.
- RM of De Salaberry including St-Pierre-Jolys and St. Malo.
- RM of Hanover including Steinbach Niverville and Grunthal.
- RM of La Broquerie including Marchand.
- RM of Ritchot including St. Adolphe and Ste. Agathe.
- RM of Ste. Anne including Richer.
- RM of Stuartburn including Zhoda, Vita and Sundown.
- RM of Tache including Lorette, Ste-Geneviève and Landmark.
- Falcon Lake and West Hawk Lake.
- Local government district of Pinawa including Seven Sisters Falls.
- Pointe du Bois.
- RM of Lac Du Bonnet.
- RM of Reynolds including Ste. Rita Hadashville and Rennie.
- RM of Whitemouth including Elma.
- Shoal Lake Reserves.
The storms have the potential to produce hail larger than the size of golf balls and wind gusts of more than 110 kilometres per hour, Environment Canada said.
The tornado threat will diminish late Monday, the weather agency said.
Severe thunderstorm watches in effect for:
- RM of Brokenhead including Beausejour and Garson.
- RM of East St. Paul including Birds Hill.
- RM of Springfield including Anola and Birds Hill Provincial Park.
- RM of St. Clements including Grand Beach, Brokenhead and Libau.
- Municipality of Rhineland including Altona, Plum Coulee and Gretna.
- RM of Montcalm including St. Jean Baptiste.
- RM of Morris including Rosenort and Aubigny.
- RM of Roland including Jordan and Myrtle.
- RM of Stanley including Winkler and Morden.
- RM of Thompson including Miami, Rosebank and Deerwood.
Environment Canada warns tornadoes are “dangerous and potentially life-threatening.”
In the event of a tornado, or if a tornado warning is issued, people in the area should go inside to a room on the lowest floor, away from outside walls and windows, Environment Canada says.
Do not seek cover in free-standing shelters like cars, trailers or tents, and instead move to a strong building if possible. As a last resort, lie in a low spot and protect your head from flying debris.
More from CBC Manitoba:
View original article here Source