‘Project Distort’ leads to charges against 2 more suspects in 2017 slaying of men in St.-Georges: RCMP

By | May 16, 2019

RCMP said two more suspects have been charged in connection with the 2017 deaths of two men in St.-Georges, Man., including a 28-year-old man who previously had charges against him in the case stayed.

That means three suspects have now been charged.

In December 2018 the Mounties announced Claude Francis Guimond, 54, a former principal of a high school on Sagkeeng First Nation, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder.

No further arrests are expected, and police said the arrests were the result of a complex investigation dubbed ‘Project Distort.’

RCMP were initially called to a shooting at a residence in St.-Georges on Feb. 28, 2017, where they found two men, aged 35 and 43, dead.

Initially, police charged Fort Alexander man Jason Andrew Bruyere with two counts of second-degree murder and weapons offences, but court documents from March 3, 2017 revealed those charges had been stayed by the Crown.

Bruyere, 28, was charged again on May 7, 2019, this time with two counts of first-degree murder. Five days earlier, Fort Alexander resident Shezna Cynthia Guimond, 22, had been charged with the same offences.

On Thursday RCMP said officers with both the major crimes unit and from the Powerview detachment were on the case.

“Working together, we have spent over two-and-a-half-years conducting an in-depth investigation to determine those responsible,” said Cpl. Laura Ledrew, of the RCMP major crimes unit, in a news release.

All three suspects are in custody.