North Winnipeg blaze that sent 1 to hospital was likely started by fire pit, city says

By | August 2, 2020

By the time fire crews got to a fire in Winnipeg’s Weston neighbourhood that sent someone to hospital on Saturday, there was already smoke and flames coming from the house.

Firefighters got to the one-and-a-half-storey house on William Avenue West, between Jordan and Langford streets, just before 5 p.m., the City of Winnipeg said in a news release on Sunday.

A preliminary investigation suggested the fire was started accidentally by an outdoor fire pit, the release said.

Crews from the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service launched an offensive attack on the blaze and got it under control at 5:46 p.m. One person was taken to hospital in stable condition, the release said, though no update on their condition and whether they remain in hospital was provided.

No damage estimates are available, the release said.

People with outdoor fire pits should make sure their fires are 10 feet away from anything that could catch fire, like buildings, fences, trees or overhanging wires, the release said. Fire pits need to have a metal grate, mesh or spark arrestor with openings less than 12 mm wide on top of them.

Only clean, dry, unpainted and untreated wood should be used in fires — and never grass, leaves, brush or tree trimmings, the release said. There should always be an adult supervising outdoor fires and a supply of water or sand nearby to quickly put out flames if needed.

If wind speeds are faster than 25 km/h, outdoor fires are not allowed, the release said. People should always use an approved pit for fires and get a permit for fire pits in their yards.

View original article here Source