No new COVID-19 cases in Manitoba; active cases down by 1

By | May 4, 2020

No new cases of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 have been identified in Manitoba on Monday, the province’s chief public health officer says.

One more person has recovered from the COVID-19, dropping the number of active cases to 37 as of Monday.

Five people are in hospital, but no one is in intensive care.

The death toll remains at six.

Nearly 27,500 COVID-19 tests have been completed, with 642 tests done on Sunday.

Last week, the province expanded testing criteria to allow any Manitobans experiencing symptoms of the novel coronavirus to be tested.

Phase 1 of the Manitoba government’s reopening plan started Monday, allowing some non-essential businesses to resume some operations, and playgrounds and outdoor recreational facilities can open as well.

“This is not a return to normal,” Dr. Brent Roussin said.

“This is a gradual and conscious reopening of the economy, with very stringent restrictions at first to continue our limitation of the transmission of this virus.”

People must continue practicing health protocols such as physical distancing, and anyone who is symptomatic must continue to stay home, Roussin said.

More from CBC News:

View original article here Source