Manitoba COVID-19 case count goes down by 1 after probable case ruled negative

By | May 7, 2020

The number of COVID-19 cases in Manitoba has gone down by one, with no new cases reported Thursday and one previously identified probable case ruled negative.

No new cases have been detected in the outbreak of the illness at a Brandon, Man., trucking company, Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said at Thursday’s daily COVID-19 update.

Roussin said the cluster of seven COVID-19 cases at that workplace wasn’t as big as it might have been.

“That number could have been higher, but for some of the precautions that workplace took,” he said, adding that the business grouped employees into small cohorts. Roussin said all cases identified were connected to a single group.

(Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

The total number of cases of the illness caused by the new coronavirus identified in the province is now 283 — 33 of which are considered active.

Five people are currently in hospital with the illness; none are in intensive care.

A total of 243 people have recovered from COVID-19 in Manitoba, and seven have died.

On Wednesday, 527 laboratory tests for COVID-19 in Manitoba were completed, bringing the total number of tests done in the province to 28,810.

From March 23 until the end of April, about 3,000 surgeries were done in the province, said Manitoba Shared Health Chief Nursing Officer Lanette Siragusa — about one-third the number that usually would have been done in that time period.

(Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

Some elective surgeries were delayed to make room in hospitals for possible surges of COVID-19.

Siragusa said diagnostic work saw a similar impact in that timeframe. The province is working on a plan that balances preparation for potential future surges of the illness and operational protocols that will allow those procedures to continue, she said.

Just because they are not considered urgent “does not mean that they are not necessary,” she said.

Siragusa said it’s hard to estimate how long it will take to catch up on the elective surgeries that were delayed because of the pandemic.

(Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

She said while there are typically fewer surgeries scheduled during the summer months, the province is looking at the possibility of doing more surgeries during that time to catch up on the backlog.

“We’re looking short-term to schedule the surgeries. We’re watching and waiting to see what happens with COVID,” she said. “What we hope to do may not be what we will get to do.”

View original article here Source