There are 30 newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba on Thursday — the second-highest single-day jump since the start of the pandemic — including 18 connected to a cluster in Brandon.
The new cases were announced as more workers at a Brandon pork processing facility tested positive for the new coronavirus, prompting the union representing workers at the plant to call for it to shut down.
Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin wouldn’t comment directly on the Maple Leaf cases, but he said public health officials are working closely with people in the industry, due to outbreaks in meat processing plants in other jursidictions.
Health officials haven’t seen evidence of transmission within the plant so far, he said.
“If we see evidence of transmission within a facility, [that] would be concerning to us,” he said.
Several meat processing plants in Canada were hit hard by COVID-19 this spring, including three facilities in Alberta. More than 1,500 cases of COVID-19 were linked to a Cargill plant in High River, Alta., where more than 940 employees tested positive.
Brandon cluster linked to travel
The cluster in Brandon, a small city about 200 kilometres west of Winnipeg, started with someone who travelled east of Manitoba and did not self-isolate “perfectly” upon their return, Roussin said.
Without going into specific detail about the case, Roussin pointed out that self-isolation involves more than simply staying at home — it also requires limiting contact with other people within the household.
“If someone is self-isolating within your home, you can’t have close, prolonged contact with them, or essentially you should be self-isolating as well,” he said.
In total, 28 cases have been linked to the cluster in Brandon.
Thursday’s announcement of 30 new cases is only surpassed by the 40 new cases announced on April 2.
There are now 118 active cases in Manitoba, and the rolling five-day test positivity rate is 0.9 per cent. The total number of cases that have been confirmed in Manitoba is 474.
Roussin said the new cases serve as a reminder that Manitobans need to stick to “fundamental precautions” such as good hand hygiene, physical distancing and staying home when feeling ill.
“Manitobans didn’t panic when we were in a similar spot and we’re not going to panic now,” he said at a news conference Thursday.
Manitoba has seen a growing number of cases since a 13-day streak of no new cases ended on July 14.
Calls for more details
The provincial government also has faced calls to disclose more specific information about where new cases occur.
On Thursday, Roussin signalled that the province is ready to do that.
“I think there’s a lot of appetite from Manitobans. I really caution Manitobans, though, about how we use that data,” he said.
Public health officials faced criticism earlier this week after the province announced a spike in new cases over the long weekend. The new cases were announced over social media without any of the details that are included in COVID-19 bulletins released on weekdays, such as the regions where the cases occurred.
On Wednesday, Manitoba ombudsman Jill Perron told CBC News in a statement that the province could release more specific geographic information about where cases occur, as long as it did not pose a risk of identifying individual cases.
As of Thursday, active cases were more heavily concentrated in regions outside Winnipeg than in the city. The Eastern-Interlake health region had 42 cases; Prairie Mountain Health had 34; Southern Health had 27; and the Winnipeg health region had 15.
View original article here Source