Man killed by police on Saturday was young father with ‘a smile to remember,’ says sister

By | April 19, 2020

The 22-year-old killed by Winnipeg police on Saturday morning is being called a man with “a smile to remember” who loved his family, his sister says.

Stewart Kevin Andrews was shot by an officer after police responded to a report of a robbery and windows being broken in the city’s Maples neighbourhood shortly after 4 a.m. A 16-year-old boy was also injured during the incident, police said.

Both were taken to the hospital, which is where Andrews died.

“He is more than a statistic,” Alexcia Andrews said in a text message to CBC News. “[He] had many friends who cared about him.”

Alexcia said she’s remembering her brother as a devoted father who was raising three children with his girlfriend, and as a loving grandson who would do anything for his grandparents.

She said her brother recently became a father and had taken in his girlfriend’s two other children as his own.

“Stewart and his baby were inseparable, basically like magnets,” Alexcia said.

She said Stewart was planning to go to college to study carpentry once his son was old enough to go to daycare.

“He wanted a future that involved him being in his son’s life,” she said. “He wanted a future with his family, to grow old with his sons and daughter.”

Alexcia Andrews said her brother was planning to go to college to study carpentry once his son was old enough to go to daycare. (Submitted by Alexcia Andrews)

On Sunday morning, police said the 16-year-old boy has now been charged with a slew of offences related to the incident and detained in custody.

The teen is charged with robbery, use of an imitation firearm during the commission of an indictable offence, possession of a weapon and pointing a firearm. 

He is also charged with two counts of failing to comply with a sentence and one count of possession of a firearm, restricted or prohibited weapon, or ammunition contrary to a prohibition order.

Winnipeg police chief Danny Smyth said Saturday that weapons were recovered at the shooting scene, but couldn’t get into specifics because that falls under the Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba’s jurisdiction. 

Andrews is the fourth person to die in a police shooting in Winnipeg so far this year and the third in 10 days.

On the evening of April 8, officers shot and killed 16-year-old Eishia Hudson near the intersection of Lagimodiere Boulevard and Fermor Avenue, following a chase that started after police said a group of teens robbed the Liquor Mart in Winnipeg’s Sage Creek neighbourhood.

Early the next morning, 36-year-old Jason Collins was killed outside a home on Anderson Avenue by officers who were responding to a domestic violence call at the house.

Those fatal shootings happened within 12 hours of each other.

Earlier in the year, police shot a 27-year-old man after attending a conflict involving an edged weapon on Kowalsky Crescent on March 10. He was taken to hospital but died.

Police cars and yellow tape blocked off a back lane in the area of Pipeline Road and Adsum Drive late Saturday morning near where Stewart Kevin Andrews was shot by a police officer hours earlier. (Travis Golby/CBC)

View original article here Source