WINNIPEG — The Manitoba government is asking its Crown corporations, universities and other publicly funded bodies to map out temporary workforce cuts of up to 30 per cent.
The province sent a memo last week to various agencies asking that they cut spending to free up money for health care and the battle against COVID-19.
The memo asks each group to lay out three different scenarios for workforce reductions in the next four months — 10 per cent, 20 per cent and 30 per cent.
Those plans are due this week, and Premier Brian Pallister says the province will discuss what changes can be realistically achieved.
The Progressive Conservative government has already asked non-front-line civil servants to agree to reduced work weeks to help free up money.
The University of Winnipeg says it has already laid off recreation staff and others who provide services that require students to be physically on campus.
-This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 20, 2020
View original article here Source