WINNIPEG — Manitoba’s top doctor has declared an outbreak of COVID-19 at a personal care home in the province.
On Monday, Dr. Brent Roussin, the chief provincial public health officer, said there were 38 new cases of COVID-19 identified in the province, including one new case at Bethesda Place, a care home in Steinbach, Man.
“An outbreak has been declared based on that one case and investigations continue,” he said.
The province’s current five-day test positivity rate is at 1.78 per cent, with 731 lab-confirmed and probable positive cases in the province since March.
There are currently 232 active cases in Manitoba and 490 recoveries. There are 11 people in hospital, three of whom are in intensive care. Roussin said four previously announced cases were removed.
This news conference comes after a weekend where Manitoba saw more than 55 new cases of the virus – 20 on Saturday and 36 on Sunday.
On Saturday, the province also reported another death related to COVID-19, bringing Manitoba’s total to nine. The province said the person who died was a man in his 80s from Portage la Prairie, Man., who had been in intensive care.
This is a developing story. More to come.
-with files from CTV’s Kayla Rosen and Touria Izri
View original article here Source