3 new cases of COVID-19 announced in Manitoba, 3 more patients in hospital

By | July 29, 2020

Three new cases of COVID-19 were announced in Manitoba on Wednesday, bringing the total number of active cases in the province to 74.

The number of people in hospital with the illness and those in intensive care doubled on Wednesday. There are now six people in hospital in Manitoba with COVID-19, four of whom are in intensive care.

The new cases are a woman in her 30s from the Winnipeg health region, and a man in his 30s and a woman in her 50s from the Interlake-Eastern Health region, the province said in a news bulletin.

Investigations into those cases are ongoing. More information will be released if necessary to let people know about any public health risks once the investigations are complete, the bulletin said.

A case identified on July 25 — a man in his 50s from the Winnipeg area — has been removed from Manitoba’s case total, after an investigation found the man had recovered from a previous infection from another province, the bulletin said.

There have now been 407 cases of COVID-19 detected in Manitoba, including 325 people who have recovered.

Positivity rate up slightly

On Tuesday, 665 more tests for the illness were completed in the province, bringing the total number of COVID-19 tests done to 86,367.

The province’s five-day test positivity rate — a rolling average of the percentage of completed tests that came back as positive — is 0.44 per cent, up from 0.4 per cent on Tuesday.

The province recorded its eighth death related to COVID-19 on Tuesday: a man in his 70s from the Southern Health region. The man, who died on July 22, was not previously hospitalized and is considered a new COVID-19 case, the province said on Tuesday.

Before his death was announced, the last death linked to the illness caused by the new coronavirus in Manitoba was on May 5 — more than two-and-a-half months ago.

In this file photo from May 26, surgeons operate on a patient at an Ontario hospital. On Tuesday, Manitoba announced its eighth death linked to COVID-19: a man in his 70s from the Southern Health region who died on July 22. (Evan Mitsui/CBC)

The province also gave updates on several test sites across Manitoba on Wednesday.

The drive-thru test site in Winkler is closed Wednesday as the site moved from Park Street to the Southland Mall (R10-777 Norquay Dr.), the bulletin said. The new site will open at noon on Thursday and will run Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. by appointment only.

People can book an appointment there by calling 204-325-5322. Access to that site will be off Kimberly Road, the bulletin said.

The drive-thru site in Steinbach (365 Reimer Ave.) will also require appointments for testing starting Friday. People can book an appointment there by calling 204-346-7016, the bulletin said.

The Prairie Mountain Health region is setting up a temporary test site starting Wednesday in the front parking lot at the Tri-Lake Health Centre (86 Ellis Dr.) in Killarney. That site will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and run until Friday, the bulletin said.

View original article here Source