The three Winnipeg cases of COVID-19 announced over the weekend are linked to an earlier known case involving a truck driver, the province says.
The cases announced this weekend — two men in their 30s and one in his 20s in Winnipeg — were all linked to the driver, a provincial spokesperson wrote in an email Tuesday.
Two of the cases were household contacts of the driver, and the third was a close contact, the spokesperson said.
Their cases brought the province’s total to 304 since the pandemic began. Five cases are currently active.
Manitoba announced no new cases of COVID-19 on Monday or Tuesday.
The update means seven of the past eight cases in Winnipeg have been connected with truck drivers. A Winnipeg truck driver and one close household contact tested positive earlier this month, shortly after two other drivers tested positive in late May.
In Manitoba, truck drivers are exempt from requirements to self-isolate after returning from travel because of the essential nature of their work.
Drivers who must leave the province regularly have the option to be tested even if they aren’t showing symptoms, although they’re not required to participate.
Dr. Brent Roussin, Manitoba’s chief provincial public health officer, said earlier this month health officials are working closely with the Manitoba Trucking Association.
As of Tuesday, 292 people in Manitoba have recovered from COVID-19. Seven people have died.
No one is in hospital or intensive care with the illness caused by the coronavirus.
On Monday, 234 tests were completed, bringing the province’s total to 54,614 since early February, the release says.
View original article here Source