2 men randomly attacked by hammer-wielding man in downtown Winnipeg

By | May 3, 2020

A 28-year-old man is charged with aggravated assault and possession of a weapon after police say he randomly attacked two strangers in downtown Winnipeg on Saturday afternoon.

In a news release sent late Sunday morning, the Winnipeg Police Service said officers were alerted to an assault happening near the Millennium Library around 3:10 p.m.

As they made their way there, they found a man in his 60s with severe head injuries who had been attacked by a man with a hammer at a bus shelter at Donald Street and Graham Avenue. He was taken to hospital in critical condition.

Officers also found a man in his 50s in the Millennium Library Park who had also been attacked by a hammer-wielding man and also had severe head injuries. He was taken to hospital in unstable condition, the release said.

Police said they determined the same suspect was likely responsible for both unprovoked attacks and that neither victim knew the attacker.

Officers from several units spread out across the downtown area and arrested the man around 5:10 p.m. at Graham Avenue and Edmonton Street.

The man is charged with one count of mischief under $5,000 and two counts each of aggravated assault and possession of a weapon.

He was detained in custody.

Both victims are now in stable condition.

View original article here Source