1 of 2 new COVID-19 cases visited Winnipeg Home Depot, Walmart last week

By | June 18, 2020

Two new cases of COVID-19 were announced in Manitoba on Thursday, bringing the total number of cases identified in the province to 308.

The new cases — a woman and a man, both in their 40s — are household contacts, and the initial case is related to international travel, Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said at a news conference.

That person was self-isolating at home after returning to Canada from Europe.

The other case was out in public before they started showing symptoms of the illness, and was at the Home Depot on Bishop Grandin Boulevard on June 12 between 8 and 9 a.m., and Walmart on Kenaston Boulevard on June 13 between 6 and 7 p.m.

Roussin said the risk of transmission is “extremely low” because the person was asymptomatic and the stores had physical distancing policies.

“[It] certainly reminds us that this virus is still present, and the importance of those physical distancing measures that were in place during these visits,” he said.

Roussin said anyone who was at either location and has symptoms of COVID-19 should be tested for the illness and stay home.

There are currently eight active cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba.

As of Thursday, there is no one in hospital with COVID-19 in the province. Seven people in Manitoba have died from the illness caused by the new coronavirus, and 293 have recovered. 

There were 828 tests for COVID-19 done in Manitoba on Wednesday, bringing the total number of tests completed in the province to 55,743, Roussin said.

View original article here Source