There is one new case of COVID-19 in Manitoba, chief provincial public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin says.
There are now 21 confirmed and probable cases of the coronavirus in Manitoba.
The latest case is a Winnipeg man in his 40s. Investigations continue into whether he contracted the virus while travelling, Roussin said at the daily news conference Tuesday.
As of Monday, more than 4,500 tests for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 had been completed at Cadham Provincial Laboratory. There were 278 tests done on Monday.
Cadham lab hopes to increase testing later this week, Roussin said.
A drive-thru coronavirus testing site will open at the Winkler Centennial Arena on Wednesday, bringing the total number of testing sites in Manitoba to 12. The Winkler site will operate from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day.
Patients must be referred for testing; they are not walk-in clinics.
No one is in hospital and there have been no deaths in Manitoba due to the virus.
Roussin reiterated his call to postpone or cancel all non-essential travel plans.
“The pandemic is developing and escalating with each passing day. Now is not the time for non-essential travel outside of Manitoba,” he said.
On Monday, he urged Manitobans returning from domestic travel as well as international trips to self-isolate for 14 days, because all COVID-19 cases in the province were travel-related up to that point.
Commercial truckers, people who live in border communities and travel in and out of the province for work, and personal travel in border communities, including trips to the cottage, are all exceptions to the self-isolation.
Non-essential and routine tests, including imaging such as X-rays, and non-invasive cardiac services will be postponed, health officials said Tuesday.
But urgent diagnostic testing will continue with appropriate screening and precautions in place.
Those affected will be contacted and appointments will be rescheduled, but if symptoms get worse, people should immediately contact their doctor.
View original article here Source